XXII. Geithainer PC/GEOS-Treffen vom 16. bis 19. November 2023 in Syhra

• Hallo,

das Thema FreeGEOS auf ThinCLients wurde ja schon vorgeschlagen. Ich würde beim Treffen gern mal GEOS unter FreeDOS nativ auf dem EeePc 1000H (o.ä. mit Atom N270 + Inel 945 Chipsatz) ausprobieren. Hintergrund: Es gibt inzwischen mit SBEMU einen AC97 Soundtreiber für DOS, der auch auf dem EeePC funktionieren könnte. Auf dem Futro S400 mit SIS-Chipsatz und 1GHz Athon CPU funktioniert er ganz gut.

Gruß Thomas

Hello Thomas!
    I have installed FreeGeos in FreeDOS on my EeePC701. It works great, but there are issues. The resolution in the screen is 720x480, with no matching driver in FreeGeos, I have to use the VGA driver in Geos, which makes the screen image "streched" horisontally. You will probably be luckier with a matching driver for the EeePC 1000H. I have installed a sound driver called Unmute, which is a PC speaker emulator for AC97. Works great in Geos. I have not tested the SBEmu in the EeePC, but in another laptop, in which I failed to make it work. I noticed that the SBEmu is memory hungry, which is a bit disappointing. I have also managed to make the Attansic NIC work with FreeDOS and Geos, I can browse with WebMagick in the EeePC. I have noticed one drawback in FreeDOS, and that is that file corruption might occur, but it is easily solved. If that occurs, replace the KERNEL.SYS. Download a new kernel file from a repository like Ibiblio. Note that there is two versions, FAT16 version and FAT32 version, use the correct one depending in what file system you have created. if you Choose FAT32, there is no working checkdisk program. The FreeDOS Chkdsk, works only in FAT16. There is DOSFSCK, which can check the disk, but I have only bad experience with DOSFSCK, it just make disk corruption worse. The only FAT32 disk check I have good experience of is Microsoft's Scandisk. I don't know what DOSFSCKs problem is, but it might have problem with SSDs? Feel free to write here if you run into issues. I will keep an eye here.

Unmute: https://github.com/Kaproncai/Unmute

• Erfahrungsbericht von meinem Zoom-Test heute.
    Johannes, du warst am besten zu verstehen, je näher du am Micro warst.
    Hatte der Abstand sich nur unwesentlich vergrößert, dann war deine Stimme abgehackt zu hören und kaum zu verstehen.

Geschweige von den Hintergrundstimmen. Ich vermute mal, dass das wieder an eurer geringen Bandbreite liegt.
    Ich selber konnte meine eigene Stimme nicht hören, auch nachdem ich von von eingebautem Micro und Lautsprecher auf Headset gewechselt war.
    Vielleicht wäre es sinnvoll für morgen 14:00 Uhr, wenn der Vortragende ein Kabelmicro für die bessere Verständlichkeit bekommen könnte.

Gruß Frank

Geos + Lenovo Ideapad 5 = Aufbruch in eine neue Galaxie