memory area and handling. I use FreeDOS 1.2 and Breadbox Ensemble from
    Blueway Softworks. DOS is configured so I do not use any UMB, since the
    upper area seemes "swampy" regarding upper memory. I have a very slim
    DOS config, and I use XMGR.SYS as the XMS manager. Everything works fine
    in FreeDOS. As far as I have tested most things works fine in Breadbox
    Ensemble, too, except for zipping and unzipping files (GeoZip and Geozip
    by RaBe soft), which gives a KR-07 error. Zipping and unzipping files
    works just fine in FreeDOS.
    I have installed Breadbox 4.12 From Breadbox, too, it will also give KR-07 when unzipping files.

I have turned Sound off in Breadbox Ensemble, to eliminate one source of generating a KR-07 error.
    I
    have 2 GB of RAM in my laptop and most of it is used by XMGR.SYS, about
    1,5 GB. I suspect that Geos have problems handling that amount of RAM,
    since I have no problem with XMGR.SYS in computers with lesser RAM and unzipping works there, too. Is
    there a workaround? I have tried to find info about the XMS manager in
    Breadbox Ensemble, but I could not find any.

Any hints?Hans

• Hello Hans,
    geozip does not any special with memory. Did you try Gonzo? Decoding a JPG file ;)

I remember that I was not able to run any DOS version on my Lenovo x121e.
    Rainer

Es gibt 10 Arten von Menschen - die einen wissen was binär ist, die anderen nicht.

• Hello Hans,
    geozip does not any special with memory. Did you try Gonzo? Decoding a JPG file ;)

I remember that I was not able to run any DOS version on my Lenovo x121e.
    Rainer

Hello Rainer,

Well, I managed to solve the Geozip problem. The Breadbox built-in GeoZip did crash with a KR-07 and sometimes a KR-06. When I installed GeoZip from you (Rainer's version) I got it, too, well only KR-07. I had to delete Rainer's GeoZip manually, then I ran the Universal Installer and remove the rest of GeoZip. I also ran reset.bat. As a precaution, I downloaded new versions of GeoZip tonight, along with Universal Installer, Gonzo and SIgma. I did a new attempt to install GeoZip and it actully succeded, my previous copy seem corrupt, or something was overwritten- However, I think my previous copy was corrupt, as I tried to install it several times with the same result. All the other apps installed nicely.

Thanks Jörg, for the hint of Files=180 in config.sys. I will keep that in mind, as I also have problems installing the examples files of R-Basic. I ran out of Swap File. I will check if that solves the installation problems.
    Hans

• Hello Rainer,

Well, I managed to solve the Geozip problem. The Breadbox built-in GeoZip did crash with a KR-07 and sometimes a KR-06. When I installed GeoZip from you (Rainer's version) I got it, too, well only KR-07. I had to delete Rainer's GeoZip manually, then I ran the Universal Installer and remove the rest of GeoZip. I also ran reset.bat. As a precaution, I downloaded new versions of GeoZip tonight, along with Universal Installer, Gonzo and SIgma. I did a new attempt to install GeoZip and it actully succeded, my previous copy seem corrupt, or something was overwritten- However, I think my previous copy was corrupt, as I tried to install it several times with the same result. All the other apps installed nicely.

Thanks Jörg, for the hint of Files=180 in config.sys. I will keep that in mind, as I also have problems installing the examples files of R-Basic. I ran out of Swap File. I will check if that solves the installation problems.
    Hans

Well, I have now managed to install the examples files of R-Basic, too, thanks to Jörgs hint of the files settings (FILES=180) in fdconfig.sys in FreeDOS. Now everything works. So the case is closed.

As a side note, previously I was a fan of DRDOS and used it exstensively on my "bare metal" (no emulators) installations. I actually had a period previously making a FreeDOS for Geos disk, but I ended it, as new releases of the kernel at that time went buggy and crashed Geos. I reported the problems to the developers, but there was no visible respons on my reports, other than that they were added to the database. However, as time goes by, DRDOS became more and more obsolete, mostly the diskhandling, which is out of date, not just the 2 GB partition and lack of FAT32, it was even big problems to partition a large drive with DRDOS FDISK, so I did a try to switch to FreeDOS, and it works nicely. They seem to straighten out the old bugs, and I now run FreeDOS 1.2 och my desktop computer and a Lenovo laptop. FreeDOS and Geos (Blueway Softworks version of Breadbox Ensemble) runs on a 120 GB SSD. There are three drawbacks on my laptop, no sound, no internet, and a slightly streched screen, but I can live with them, as long as I have hardware USB support from the BIOS, as it does not require any drivers in DOS. I have actually tried a Geos Video driver with support for the resolution 1366x768, and it "works", but it is buggy and will eventually crash.

Hans

• Hello Hans,
    perhaps the problem was caused by an incompatibily between BreadBox GeoZip and RabeSoft GeoZip. Breadbox had licendes the related libraries from me and had changed it incompatible. Mixing librarys and Geodes from RabeSoft and BreadBox can cause a crash.
    Rainer

Es gibt 10 Arten von Menschen - die einen wissen was binär ist, die anderen nicht.

• Hello Hans,
    perhaps the problem was caused by an incompatibily between BreadBox GeoZip and RabeSoft GeoZip. Breadbox had licendes the related libraries from me and had changed it incompatible. Mixing librarys and Geodes from RabeSoft and BreadBox can cause a crash.
    Rainer

Hello Rainer,

Yes, that sounds possible. Anyway, it works now, and the laptop works well now, I really appriciate your GeoZip, Gonzo and BackupNow! program.

On my wish list is a function to unstrech the screen, or a 1366x768 driver, a sound driver and a wifi driver. Fixing the screen have priority. I know that there is a 1366x768, which actually works to some small extent. The screen ratio is correct, but the icons are a mix of color and monochrome ones, it looks a bit weird. Sometimes it crashes, but it usually works until I can go back to the 1024x768 driver and get the streched screen again. If anybody have a hint to fix the streched screen in VBE 3.0, I would gladly take it!
    -Hans