PC/Geos and Raspberry Pi 3

• Hallo zusammen,

Ich habe zwei MicroSD-Karten mit verschieden Versionen bespielt...

1. Raspbian Jessie mit und ohne noobs-Auswahl-Starter

2. UBUNTU Mate 16.04

und jeweils DOSBox 0.74

Ich habe in der DOSBox.conf unter [DOS] die Zeile files=128 ergänzt.

Ich habe ENSEMBLE-Versionen, die in anderen DOSBoxen unter Windows laufen rüberkopiert...

nützt alles nix... immer KR-09. :(

• Der Übeltäter war der DOSBox-eigene Befehl "keyb.com".

Ich hatte keyb gr in der DOSBox.conf eingegeben.
    Ausgabe am Bildschirm:
    "Keyboard layout gr loaded for codepage 858"

Nun habe ich eingegeben:
    keyb gr 437

Bildschirmausgabe
    "Keyboard layout gr loaded for codepage 437"

und nun gibt es keine KR-09 mehr! 8)

• So Hans,
    I have this RP Pi3 here. And now?
    What I have to do?

In Raspian I get in DosBox 0,74 Error KR-09...

Hello Johannes!

Sorry, I did not notice your posting and it was some time ago, that you posted here, sorry again! I tried some linux distributions, but I reverted back to Raspian, as it seems to be the best adopted for the Raspberry Pi. I write how I did from the beginning, so you can browse and find the point to jump in for troubleshooting.

First I installed Raspian on the SD-card. Then I installed DOSBox. After that I made hidden files visible in Raspian's File manager, so I could locate the .dosbox-folder and the .dosbox.conf-file. The next step was to start DOSbox, to make sure it starts. Then I exited DOSBox. After that I created a Geos-folder in the filestructure. Then I copied the Ensemble folder into Geos-folder, as the Ensemble folder have problems to exist in the root-folder in DOSBox. When all this is done, I got back to open and edit the dosbox.conf file, and mounted the Geos folder as C:. Then I started DOSBox, and manually changed directory to the Ensemble directory, and wrote ensemble at the prompt to start ensemble. You write that you get KR-09, check so the geos.ini is not corrupted, try to copy a fresh copy from the installation CD or disks you have got. Also check the file system driver, so it will read "fs = os2.geo" and also "primaryFSD = os2.geo" under the [system] category. I have learned that the best thing is to copy a working copy of ensemble to DOSBox. It might be problematic to install it into DOSBox. You might also need to configure the keyboard layout in DOSBox.

BR,
    Hans

• "Keyboard layout gr loaded for codepage 858"

...das ist vermutlich auch schon das Problem: Eigentlich solltest Du in DOS bei einer deutschen Tastatur die Codepage 850 haben. Die Codepage 858 wurde erst 1998 eingeführt (mit einem Euro-Zeichen anstelle eines "i ohne I-Punkt"). Vermutlich kennt Geos noch keine Codepage 858 und weiß daher nicht, welche Übersetzungstabelle "DOS <-> Geos" es nutzen soll. Damit scheitern nicht nur einige Textdatei-Importe, sondern auch alle Zugriffe auf's DOS-Filesystem...

(Short summary for Hans: The codepage 858 is most likely the problem as a German keyboard used to have the codepage 850. The codepage 858 got introduced in 1998 and hence might be unknown to Geos. Hence Geos doesn't know which conversion-table "DOS <-> Geos" to use. Hence some text-file-imports and all access to the DOS-file-system is blocked.)

There are two rules in life:
    1. Never give out all of the information.

• ...das ist vermutlich auch schon das Problem: Eigentlich solltest Du in DOS bei einer deutschen Tastatur die Codepage 850 haben. Die Codepage 858 wurde erst 1998 eingeführt (mit einem Euro-Zeichen anstelle eines "i ohne I-Punkt"). Vermutlich kennt Geos noch keine Codepage 858 und weiß daher nicht, welche Übersetzungstabelle "DOS <-> Geos" es nutzen soll. Damit scheitern nicht nur einige Textdatei-Importe, sondern auch alle Zugriffe auf's DOS-Filesystem...

(Short summary for Hans: The codepage 858 is most likely the problem as a German keyboard used to have the codepage 850. The codepage 858 got introduced in 1998 and hence might be unknown to Geos. Hence Geos doesn't know which conversion-table "DOS <-> Geos" to use. Hence some text-file-imports and all access to the DOS-file-system is blocked.)

Hello Jörg,

Well, I suspect that the keyboard implementation in DOSBox is buggy. I have tested several versions of DOSBox. The keyboard implementation in DOSBox Turbo is the buggiest, even the sign on the keys shift. Sometimes I get a dot, sometimes a colon, in the same key, when pressed, it does not affect letters, just special signs. This can be solved with workarounds, but that is kind of clumpsy. I don't know if Freedos can be used? The 437 code page is the natural choice if 850 doesn't work. It is the US codepage but with support of the special caracters åäö, but I don't know if the german double-s is supported?

Hans

• Hi,

there is no codepage support in DOSBox at all! That's the reason why GEOS can't use umlauts in file names. As far as I remeber DOSBox uses a character set (mapping) that is a subset of code page 437, so not all charakters are mapped. In the DOSBox version that I use for the "NewDeal 3.2a for Windows" package mappings for common german umlauts (ÄäÖöÜüß) have been added (simple dirty hack..) I recommend to use the tiny "keyb2.com" in conjunction with DOSBox.

Regrads Thomas

• Ich kann mich erinnern, in DOS-Zeiten brauchten manche Programme für ein saubers Bildschirmbild Codepage 437 und andere Codepage 850...

Z.B. wurden in 850 Zeichen wie "╤" (Doppelrahmen oben nach unten einfacher Rahmen - UNICODE HEX 2564) zu "D" (Buchstabe "D")

Was sind die genauen Unterschiede? - Ich habe gelesen, dass "437" die älteste Codepage von IBM-PC war... "850" kam später als innereuropäische Codepage... Und "858" dann als europäische mit dem "€" (EUR-Symbol).

Könnte man der DOSBox die alten Codepages auch für das Deteisystem beibringen?
    Es ist doch ein offenes System?
    Oder könnte man PC/GEOS die Codepage 858 beibringen?

Breadbox Ensemble läuft jetzt mit beiden Codepages 437 oder 850 sehr gut...

Danke allen! Thanks all! :]

• Hi all,

Well, after checking the code pages in DOSBox turbo, I can say that they not accurate. My guess is that there are bugs in the code pages, as it does not matter if I use the 437 codepage or 850 for Swedish keyboard. I think I even discovered errors in the US keyboard. Johannes, is the german keyboard accurate? This is quite a disappointment, when everything else looks so good performance wise. I have also tried to use keyboard drivers from FreeDOS, but the same errors occurs. All the letters are okay, but there is not much effort in the special signs, some signs appear in duplicate places, some is wrong. The alternate graphics signs does not work and so on. Sigh!

Any comments?

Hans

• Hi,

there is no codepage support in DOSBox at all! That's the reason why GEOS can't use umlauts in file names. As far as I remeber DOSBox uses a character set (mapping) that is a subset of code page 437, so not all charakters are mapped. In the DOSBox version that I use for the "NewDeal 3.2a for Windows" package mappings for common german umlauts (ÄäÖöÜüß) have been added (simple dirty hack..) I recommend to use the tiny "keyb2.com" in conjunction with DOSBox.

Regrads Thomas

Hi,

Regrads Thomas

Thomas, where do I get keyb2.com, and how do I set it up in DOSBox?

This is driving me mad, I get different results in different versions of DOSBox. The keyboard behave differently in DOSBox Turbo, DOSBox in Raspberry Pi and Windows. I have tried to drill down into the problem, but as you state, there is no codepage support and as it uses a subset, not all characters are supported, and I also get weird effetcs, for example in DOSBox Turbo, when I load the Swedish keyboard with the command "keyb sv 437" I get the block letter Ä when I press the shift key and 2. I should get the inch (") sign (used by many as citation sign). When I switch to us keyboard, and press shift and 2 I get the inch sign, so there are many flaws. I have tried several keyboard drivers, but the errors are the same. I guess I need a keyboard map with the Swedish keyboard mapped out in every key, together with a proper keyboard driver.

BR,
    Hans