PC/Geos, BIOS and DOS

• Here is an article about what Intel intends to do with the BIOS support in their chipsets:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/1…c-bios-by-2020/
    This affects DOS and and Geos. When this comes true it appears that Geos will be something running in emulators, or we would need an version of GEOS running on UEFI based computers, or move to a different platform.
    Hans

Um so freigiebiger kann man das alte auf dem klassischen BIOS basierende GEOS an Freedos frei geben.

• I feel that GEOS should be independent of DOS. Due to Windows 10 and what emulation software there is for Windows 10 I had to give up sound support last year. I think GEOS should have its own "file structure" to have a ture GEOS experience due the emulation software I use not having modem support. At least I have a geobook to access the internet :)
    Brett Tiktin

• I feel that GEOS should be independent of DOS. Due to Windows 10 and what emulation software there is for Windows 10 I had to give up sound support last year. I think GEOS should have its own "file structure" to have a ture GEOS experience due the emulation software I use not having modem support. At least I have a geobook to access the internet :)
    Brett Tiktin

I dont feel, that Geos should be independant of DOS because DOS ist enother operating System with very less gui Solutions. There are some ones, but with very less applications inside. GEOS could fill this gap.

Why GEOS for Windows? Windows is alredy a GUI system. Why the feeled X-th GUI for Windows at the end with same otutfit like windows itself, instead of alternative optical view, like motif design?

Todays computers are powerful enough to give GUI also for DOS. As Long as DOS is even developed for new with Freedos, this DOS Version can also get a powerful GUI and GEOS is such powerful GUI for DOS. And GEOS SDK ist so or so very different from Windows API.

• [size=10]I don't disagree with you. I'm looking at it from another point of view we're not there to compete with Windows or Mac OS or other GUI operating systems. Geos is not a shell for DOS. It's its own operating system with many unique characteristics. I would just like Geos to be easier to install on a modern computer. As many of you know I have a disability. In order to use Geos with my computer I actually use Windows 98 SE to visually drag-and-drop the needed files for Geos to work and add new applications to Geos. With DOS I would never get around. All I wish for Geos is two things 1st easy install second access to basic webpages without the use of dial-up Internet. [/size] :)

I dont feel, that Geos should be independant of DOS because DOS ist enother operating System with very less gui Solutions. There are some ones, but with very less applications inside. GEOS could fill this gap.

Why GEOS for Windows? Windows is alredy a GUI system. Why the feeled X-th GUI for Windows at the end with same otutfit like windows itself, instead of alternative optical view, like motif design?

Todays computers are powerful enough to give GUI also for DOS. As Long as DOS is even developed for new with Freedos, this DOS Version can also get a powerful GUI and GEOS is such powerful GUI for DOS. And GEOS SDK ist so or so very different from Windows API.