NewDeal Hot Tip 1623
The [ui] category of the GEOS.INI file determines the user interface and
also allows passing of parameters to the user interface. If the keys do not
exist, NewDeal uses the default (and only) user interface, UI.GEO, and passes
no parameters to it.
- generic = <file name>
- This key defines the generic user interface library file that is to be used
by NewDeal. If the key is missing, then it defaults to UI.GEO.
- specific = <file name>
- This key defines the specific user interface library file that is to be used
by NewDeal. If the key is missing, then it defaults to MOTIF.GEO.
- execOnStartup = <namelist>
- This key defines applications to be run when NewDeal starts up.
<namelist> can consist of one or more application names. These values
can be placed on the same line, separated by spaces, or across several lines.
If placed across several lines, they must be enclosed with curly braces.
execOnStartup = Clock NewPlanner
- background = <background file name>
- Use this file as the background picture. This is normally set by
the Preference manager.
- backgroundColor = <number>
- Color index of background color. This is normally set by the
Preference manager. Available colors are
= 0 (Black)
= 1 (Dark Blue)
= 2 (Dark Green)
= 3 (Dark Cyan)
= 4 (Dark Red)
= 5 (Dark Purple)
= 6 (Brown)
= 7 (Light Gray)
= 8 (Dark Gray)
= 9 (Light Blue)
= 10 (Light Green)
= 11 (Light Cyan)
= 12 (Light Red)
= 13 (Light Purple)
= 14 (Yellow)
= 15 (White)
- backgroundAttr = <t|c|x>
- This key defines how the background picture will be displayed.
It is normally set by the Preferences manager. The options are
= t (tiled)
= c (centered)
= x (upper left corner)
- autosave = <true|false>
- True if document safeguarding is turned on. Normally set by the
- autosaveTime = <number>
- Defines the interval (in seconds) between auto-saves.
- haveEnvironmentApp = <true|false>
- True if an environment application like the Welcome screen is
specified as the defaultLauncher in [uiFeatures]
- doNotDisplayResetBox = <true|false>
- This key is set to true if we don't want to put up the Reset NewDeal
dialog box after a crash or improper exit. If this is set to true, then
deleteStateFilesAfterCrash should also be set to true, or some crashes may
allow bad state files to keep NewDeal from restarting properly.
- deleteStateFilesAfterCrash = <true|false>
- True if we always want to delete state files after a crash. If this
key is set to true, then doNotDisplayResetBox should also be set to true.
- overstrikeMode = <true|false>
- True allows the user to go into overstrike mode (the default). False
prevents the user from switching to overstrike mode. This key is normally
set by the Preferences manager.
- kbdAcceleratorMode = <true|false>
- If false, this key tells NewDeal to ignore keyboard accelerators.
By default, this is true and keyboard accelerators are allowed. Note that
this is independent of whether keyboard accelerators are drawn, which is
mainly controlled by the value of windowOptions in [uiFeatures].
- productName = <string>
- This key holds the name of product in the "Are you sure you want to
exit <string>?" message in the dialog box that appears when you Exit
- noTokenDatabase = <true|false>
- True to prevent any token database from being initialized. This would
only be used to improve startup time on a system where no icons were going to
be used--that is, a product that starts up and just runs one application.
- noClipboard = <true|false>
- True to prevent the clipboard from loading. This would be used only to
improve startup time on a system that never needs the clipboard.
- noSpooler = <true|false>
- True to prevent launching the spooler. Would be used only to optimize
startup time on a system that never prints.
- noTaskSwitcher = <true|false>
- True to prevent loading the task switcher. This may be used to improve
startup time if the system running NewDeal knows in advance that it will
never use a taskswitcher.
- sound = <true|false>
- Turns sound on or off and is normally set by the Preferences application.
- confirmShutdown = <true|false>
- True to show the confirmation dialog box before shutting down. False to
skip the confirmation dialog box. Defaults to true.
- screenBlanker = <true|false>
- True to enable screen blanker.
- screenBlankerTimeout =<number>
- This key sets the number of minutes of idle time before activating
screen saver or blanker.
- keyboardSize = <number>
- This key sets the size for the floating keyboard. The keyboard must
be enabled with the noKeyboard key in the [input] category and the
floatingKeyboard key in the [expressMenuControl] category. A value of 1
displays the smaller Zoomer keyboard. A value of zero displays the
larger, default Bullet keyboard.
- hwr = <file name>
- Name of the HandWriting Recognition library on a system that supports
one. The default is PALM.GEO.
- password = <true|false>
- Sets the system password on or off.
- passwordText = <string>
- Contains the password if the password key is set to true.
Return to Index
Last Modified 5 Mar 1999