NewDeal Hot Tip 1105
Palm Connect and NewDeal
Palm Connect is a desktop software distributed for a while by Palm
Computing to provide compatible versions of the personal information
management applications on the Zoomer (Casio Z-7000, AST GRiD 2390,
or Tandy Z-PDA). It's possible to combine Palm Connect and NewDeal
into one directory, but you have to do it by hand and it's not
documented. Here are some clues to help you get started:
Palm Connect installs into a directory named \PALMCONN by default.
Do NOT install Palm Connect "into" or "over" your NewDeal directory.
- Install NewDeal fresh in a new directory.
- Install Palm Connect that way, too, then merge them by moving or
copying files from Palm Connect into NewDeal. Later you can move
your document and add-on files over from your old NewDeal directory
once everything is working right.
- Copy any file that exists in Palm Connect, but does not exist
in NewDeal, into the NewDeal directory tree, except the files in
\system\pref. If a file exists in both trees, examine the dates
and sizes and make careful decisions about which files to overwrite.
Give precedence to newer files and to keeping NewDeal files, in
- You'll have to merge the GEOS.INI files by opening both and
copy/pasting items from the Palm Connect INI to the NewDeal INI.
- Use NewManager over Palm's File Manager.
- Do not turn on ink in NewDeal, unless you're sure you want it.
- Make a back up of the NewDeal GEOS.INI, in case you need to
revert to it.
The versions of the apps in Palm Connect are nicer to use on the
desktop than the ones actually on the Zoomer, because they are
in color. Another good thing about combining NewDeal and Palm
Connect is that Addressbook will automatically use the import
filters available in NewDeal, so you can export NewDex to
Addressbook, for example (carriage returns will be lost along
the way, but that gives you something to fiddle with on your
Zoomer while on a bus or plane).
Return to Index
Last Modified 2 Mar 1999