NewDeal Technical Support Document 266
A list of changes from one version of the software to the next
Changes from NewDeal 98 to NewDeal Release 3
Industry Standard User Interface option added, with desktop, taskbar,
and pop up alternate mouse button menus, plus industry standard
single-click close button in top right-hand corner of application primary
Release 3 runs under Windows NT 4.
NewManager Connect feature now includes 56k and 115k.
NewWrite has Dynamic Ruler Marks, those little lines in the rulers that follow
the mouse pointer around the page. Previously available only in NewDraw,
these markers appear in new documents created with Release 3.
NewWrite accepts pasting graphics beyond page 20.
Automatically update Index and Table of Contents created with the Help Editor
feature in NewWrite.
Support for sending faxes directly from NewWrite with most faxmodems,
including automatic generation of cover pages.
Locking titles in NewCalc.
Improved charting of text data in NewCalc.
Mail merge of computed data from NewCalc and NewFile is improved.
Stability improved when working with complex graphics.
New color selector, choose among 216 colors, 6x6x6 and RGB formats, and
define custom colors.
Web browser supports forms, frames, and tables.
Preferences modules added: Choose UI, Configure UI, Internet. Configure
UI replaces the Configure application. Internet module replaces LaunchPad.
Redesigned Time and Date module (also access it by clicking on the task bar
Left- and right-handed mouse configurations moved to Preferences Mouse module.
Preferences Modem module lists 38400, 56k and 115k options and defaults to
RTS, CTS for hardware handshaking.
Release 3 does not reset the hardware clock when running under a taskswitcher.
Improved VESA Video Drivers and better support for CGA.
- The following printer drivers are new in Release 3
- Epson ESCP Driver (ESCP.GEO), which supports these printers:
- Epson Stylus 2s (B/W)
- Epson Stylus 2s (Color)
- Epson Stylus Color 400 (B/W)
- Epson Stylus Color 400 (Color)
- Epson Stylus Color 500 (B/W)
- Epson Stylus Color 500 (Color)
- Epson Stylus Color 800 (B/W)
- Epson Stylus Color 800 (Color)
- ESC/P2 (3 Color)
- ESC/P2 (4 Color)
- Canon BJC-240 driver (BJC240.GEO), which supports these printers:
- Canon BJC-70 (B/W)
- Canon BJC-70 (Color)
- Canon BJC-210 (B/W)
- Canon BJC-210 (Color)
- Canon BJC-240 (B/W)
- Canon BJC-240 (Color)
- Canon BJC-620 (B/W)
- Canon BJC-620 (Color)
- Canon BJC-4200 (B/W)
- Canon BJC-4200 (Color)
- Canon BJC-4550 (B/W)
- Canon BJC-4550 (Color)
- Canon BJ series (B/W)
- Canon BJ series (3 Color)
- Canon BJ series (4 Color)
Changes from NewDeal Office 97 to NewDeal Office 98
NewDeal Office 98 includes all the changes listed below for previous versions,
plus . . .
- CD Player
- Character Map
- File Finder
- Media Viewer
- Directory Lister
- Skipper web browser
- RTF 0, RTF 1 and HTML import and export filters
- Updated video drivers (256, 32k, 64k and truecolor)
- More Clip Art images
- More Templates
Changes from NewDeal Office 2.5 to NewDeal Office 97
NewDeal Office 97 includes all the changes listed below for previous versions,
plus . . .
- NewDeal Office 97 works properly on computers with more than 32 megs of RAM
- NewWrite mail merge works with data from NewDex
- The Connect feature is enabled by default
- Handles default raised to 3500
- LPT (parallel port) defaults to BIOS
- Default video driver set to VGA: 640x480 16-color
- 256-color video driver included
- Updated NEWDEAL.PIF and NEWDEAL.GRP for Windows v3.x
- Added Launcher for DOS PROMPT and NewDeal's NEWHELP utility
- NewCalc Character Map file added
- Special Characters NewWrite file added
- NewDeal Office 97 Splash Screen updated
- Index added to User Guide
Changes from Geoworks Ensemble v2.01 to NewDeal Office 2.5
NewDeal Office contains many improvements in the system software compared
to Ensemble 2.01. Most of the changes affect performance or compatibility
and are not immediately obvious. Here are some of the enhancements that
you might notice:
- NewManager displays more characters of long filenames by wrapping the
name on two lines under file icons.
- NewManager displays linked directory names in blue on color monitors.
- The spline library has been improved. Most notably, rotated and grouped
splines work better.
- Circles and ellipses in the draw layer are now centered on the pixel
- Circles and ellipses are rounder, especially bitmap circles.
- Dates from NewFile or NewCalc appear in the chosen number format when
doing mail merges in NewWrite.
- The handling of extended ASCII characters was improved in Text File
- Book Reader
- Installing on a fast computer does not cause a KR-01 (divide by zero)
- Installing on a system with Windows 95 or PC-DOS 7 does not cause a
KR-29 (no valid fonts) error.
- Compatible with Netware 4.1 and VLM drivers
- Mark Records in NewFile works with custom delimiters set in Preferences,
- The German extended keyboard driver was improved.
- NewManager provides one pass disk copy.
- In NewManager, the default size of multiple windows is larger.
- Pressing CTRL+A (or CTRL+B) in NewManager displays the directory of
the A: (or B:) drive.
- Approximately 40 newer printers are listed in the printer driver choices
- An ASCII-only printer driver was added, mostly useful for printing
- Clip art sampler added
- America Online client removed
Changes from Geoworks Ensemble v2.0 to Ensemble v2.01
Geoworks Ensemble v2.01 was considered a maintenance update and had
only a few changes from the 2.0 version:
- Included America Online software (PCAO v2.0)
- Added a Connect feature to allow linking two computers
- Calculator Worksheets enabled
- Optimized performance (runs faster than v2.0)
- Updated printer drivers
Changes from Geoworks Ensemble 1.2 to Ensemble 2.0
Ensemble 1.2 was also sold under the names Geoworks Pro and Quick
Start. Geoworks Ensemble 2.0 was a major upgrade which added all these
features and more:
- System-wide features
- Customizeable icon tool bars for point and click simplicity
- On-line help
- Four user levels to accommodate all types of users
- Color printing support for inkjets and dot matrix printers
- Screen savers included
- Support for DOS 6
- 120,000+ word spell check
- Document password protection
- Quick backup
- Draw layer added to major applications
- Improved Express menu, always accessible
- Enhanced support for removable media, CD-ROM drives, and PCMCIA devices
- Graphical WYSIWYG spreadsheet
- 8,192 rows by 256 columns
- 99 functions
- Complete cell formatting
- Point and click references
- Absolute and relative cell references
- Full on-screen charting with 7 chart types
- Create formulas with a point and click formula builder
- Insert name, formula, series
- Manually adjust column width and row height
- Graphics layer for direct graphics manipulation in documents with bitmap
drawing, object drawing, gradient fills
- Automatic recalculation
- Import and export WK1, WKS, CSV, and dBase III, IV
- Graphical forms-based database
- 8192 records per database
- Graphical form design
- 250 multiple layouts per database
- Multiple field types with up to 511 characters
- Create calculated fields with a point and click expression builder
- Set multiple field attributes
- Supports single or multiple record layout
- Search on records and text strings
- User defined tab ordering
- Sort on any field and across multiple records
- Mark records
- Import and export WK1, WKS, CSV, and dBase III, IV
- Word Processor additions
- Graphics layer for direct graphics manipulation in documents
- Search and replace
- 40,000+ word thesaurus
- Mail merge
- Document control with annotations and notes
- Up to 32 columns
- Smart quotes
- Insert special dates and time
- Adjust weight and width of characters
- Auto hyphenation
- Style sheets
- Master pages
- Multiple document sections
- Multiple views including galley, draft, and condensed
- Import/ Export ASCII, Display Write, Hebrew Write, Lotus 1-2-3, MS
Word, MultiMate and MultiMate Advantage, Signature, WordPerfect, WordPerfect
for Windows, WordStar, and XyWrite
- Drawing application and graphics layer additions
- Bitmap drawing tools
- Pixel editing
- Rulers and grids
- Smooth curve splines
- Paste inside
- Gradient fills
- Automatic alignment and distribution for graphic objects
- Skew, flip, rotate, move, and nudge objects
- Design templates
- Custom duplicate for special effects
- Create custom objects
- Import and export PCX, TIFF, GIF, CLP, and BMP images
- File Manager
- Recoverable wastebasket
- Upgrade 1.x document feature
- Graphical paper tape
- Scientific and mathematics option
- One-step conversions
- Seven memory storage
Last Modified: 7 Feb 1999