NewDeal Technical Support Document 263
Tips about using NewPlanner
How to Print a Month's Calendar
When printing out the calendar,
it has a set size for each day or each box. Can you change the
size of the box (for printing purposes) to make it larger to encompass
more events than it defaults to?
You can create larger calendars
by using the "Page Setup" dialog box. All of the date
"boxes" will still be the same size as each other,
but you can create a larger calendar overall to encompass
Also, more event data will fit on the page if you print in landscape mode.
In addition, if you want to create a calendar spanning over multiple
pages, calculate the document size by doing the following:
where the printout is n sheets wide by m sheets high.
- Page Size accounting for margins: 8 x 10.5
- Page Width = (n x 8) + .5
- Page Height = (m x 10.5) + .5
If you are using something with larger margins, use this
- Page Size, allowing for margins: 8 x 10
- Page Width = (n x 8) + .5
- Page Height = (m x 10) + .5
This provides a document that fills all the paper on which it is printed.
- The document size for a 2 sheet by 2 sheet document would be
16.5" x 21.5"
- With larger margins, it would be 16.5" x 20.5"
Tracking time with NewPlanner
Using NewPlanner, you can keep track of how long a phone call is, your
time online, or how long the kids can play Tetris, or Solitaire
before taking turns. Do the following:
Elapsed Time with Alarm
- Start NewPlanner. Look at the current time.
- Set Preferences to zero minutes, zero days, zero hours.
- Set Alarm for time to sound alarm.
- If you have NewPlanner set for a
10-15 minute warning and you are trying to track a shorter
period of time, the alarm may not sound at all if the warning
period is longer than the scheduled event.
- Use the Snooze feature to have the alarm
repeat. It will go off about every 4.5 minutes.
How to track elapsed time with Solitaire
- Start Solitaire.
- Shrink the window vertically to the maximum. Only a tiny slit of
cards will be showing.
- Shrink the window horizontally so the Time display is in the
lower right corner.
- Drag the Solitaire box to the lower right corner
of the screen.
- Click on the left card stack to start the timer.
- Click on Game/Re-deal to reset the timer or select Options/Timed
Game to clear/reset the timer.
- Once a card has been touched the
timer will keep on counting: seconds, minutes, hours...
- Minimize Solitaire and drag the Icon to the lower right corner
of the screen so it will pop up over the icon when opened again (keep your
work in one place).
To play the timer copy of Solitaire while using the timer:
- Click the upper right corner button to maximize the application.
- Press the box again to shrink it down to size.
- Press the Minimize button (left box in the upper right
corner) to minimize the timer, but it makes more sense to start
another copy of Solitaire so the timer is not interrupted if something
serious is being tracked.
- Re-dealing will stop the clock and reset the timer. So will Selecting
Options/Timed Game, without going through Game/Re-deal.
- The options menu can be pinned open and the timer reset
in an instant by double-clicking on it.
- It is also possible to slide the open timer
window to the lower left corner, if you want to see both the NewPlanner
Clock and the elapsed time in the lower right hand corner.
- If NewPlanner clock has already been placed in the lower left corner,
select the express menu/NewPlanner to make it appear in front of the
- When other applications are minimized they
may obscure the timer or clock unless the numbers are right along
the bottom edge of the screen.
Alarm Function Tip
NewPlanner must be active in order for the alarm function to work. This
means NewPlanner must either be open and visible, or minimized and visible
as an icon at the bottom of the screen.
Last Modified 17 Feb 1999