NewDeal Technical Support Document 211
NEWDEAL AND OS/2
Using NewDeal software with OS/2
To run NewDeal software under OS/2
No special installation of your NewDeal software is necessary. You
must use FAT disk access; NewDeal may not function using HPFS.
- Run your NewDeal software in a regular full-screen DOS box,
not a box that boots a specific version of DOS. In other words,
the DOS_STARTUP_DRIVE setting on the session page should be clear.
- Increase the number of DOS_FILES available to that DOS box
to at least 80.
- Make sure the HW_TIMER setting is on.
- All other values can be left at their defaults.
"SYS Error 0005. Access Denied"
You may get this error while installing under OS/2, because OS/2
thinks there is an extended attribute set for all of the files
on the installation disks.
To change this extended attribute:
- Use the DISKCOPY command to copy each NewDeal installation
disk to a diskette that is not write protected.
- Run CHKDSK /F on each diskette. OS/2 will
correct what it thinks is an extended attribute error on every
Serial (COM) Port Issues
In OS/2's PROGRAM PARAMETERS, set COM_DIRECT_ACCESS to ON.
Printing or Parallel Port Issues
Run Preferences in NewManager. Select the Computer module and
be sure the LPT port is set to "7" (not BIOS or DOS).
You can also edit the OS/2 CONFIG.SYS and add /IRQ to the line
BASEDEV=PRINT01.SYS. This increases print time. If you do not have 2
printers you can REM the line BASEDEV=PRINT02.SYS.
If OS/2 does not print until you exit NewDeal,
- Right click on the printer object to bring up its menu.
- Select Settings.
- Go to the Output page. This has icons for all of the computer's
ports. It's not immediately obvious, but each is an object.
- Right click the LPT1 object to show its menu.
- Select Settings.
- Check the box labeled Share Access.
To use NewDeal's CD Player when running NewDeal from OS/2,
make sure this line exists in your CONFIG.SYS file:
To use OS/2's Fax support with NewDeal
- Install Faxworks for OS/2. It comes in the Bonus Pak with
- In NewDeal's Preferences, Printer, install the IBM
Proprinter X24E driver on LPT3.
- When your NewDeal document is ready to fax, select the Proprinter
X24E driver and print.
- After the print job has gone to the spooler, back in OS/2
Faxworks will ask for the sending details.
- Click on Send and away it goes, or you can look at it
Please note that we cannot provide you with OS/2 support beyond
the information contained in this document. However, you should
have no problems running your NewDeal software under OS/2 using the
settings above. The following suggestions from our customers have
not been verified or tested by NewDeal.
Differences in hardware and software configurations from one computer
to another can require different settings. Because OS/2 offers
a wide variety of configurations, we cannot guarantee any of these
settings are right for you. However, many of our customers recommend
the settings below.
- Remove "%" from PROGRAM, PARAMETERS
- Add C:\NEWDEAL (or whatever directory you installed NewDeal into) to
- HW_ROM_to_RAM Off
- COM_HOLD Off
- COM_RECEIVE_BUFFER_FLUSH None
- COM_SELECT All
- DOS_BACKGROUND_EXECUTION On
- DOS_LASTDRIVE Z
- IDLE_SENSITIVITY 100
- INT_DURING_IO On
- PRINT_SEPARATE_OUTPUT On
- PRINT_TIMEOUT 15
- PRINTER SETTINGS, QUEUE OPTIONS "PRINT WHILE SPOOLING"
- VIDEO_8154A_XGA_IOTRAP Off
- XMS_MEMORY_LIMIT 2048 (or the amount of RAM in Kbytes that
you want NewDeal to use)
Last Modified 2 Mar 1999